Earlier today, the APPG on Global Education held its Annual General Meeting (AGM).
The meeting began with voting on the election of Officers. This resulted in the re-election of the following parliamentarians:
Chair: Harriett Baldwin MP
Vice-Chair: Chris Matheson MP
Vice-Chair: Mike Wood MP
Vice-Chair: Lord German
Vice-Chair: Lord Low
Four new Vice-Chairs were also elected:
Vice-Chair: Baroness Sugg
Vice-Chair: Lord McConnell
Vice-Chair: Marion Fellows MP
Vice-Chair: Barry Sheerman MP
The full updated APPG membership list is available by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org
Those in attendance, reviewed the following events which the AGM hosted over the last year:
- July 2020, Virtual Meeting with DFID Minister, Baroness Sugg
- July 2020, APPG Meets Director of Education Cannot Wait, Yasmine Sherif
- September 2020, APPG Meets Send My Friend to School Youth Campaigners
- December 2020: APPG/UNICEF event on climate, displacement and girls’ education
- January 2021: APPG hosts roundtable with Alice Albright and Vijay Rangarajan
- March 2021: AGM and UK Kenya Parliamentary exchange
Plans for the APPG’s activities over the next year were also discussed with key moments for global education highlighted, such as the G7, Global Education Summit, Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting and COP26. APPG members were pleased with the opportunities that remote activities had brought for bringing in a diverse range of speakers to the APPG’s events.
The impact of the Government’s proposed cuts to the UK’s aid budget were also discussed, in particular their implications for the FCDO’s education programming and multilateral commitments.
Finally, Baroness Sugg highlighted the upcoming report on girls’ education, and sexual reproductive health and rights, which the APPG on Population, Development and Reproductive Health is soon to release.